My Most Recent QSO's

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Some Changes at the Home Station


My small laptop "went south", so to speak, and finally gave up the ghost; so I've decided to replace it with my Samsung Tablet which I bought several months ago. I've yet to find anything that I can't do with the tablet, that I could do on my desktop, or the laptop. It sure takes up a lot less space, and it loads much quicker. I purchased an extra "keyboard" but I've found that I could do without it very easily.  I take the tablet with me just about everywhere I go. It fits into my "portable" philosophy very nicely.


When I can't sleep, I use the battery powered "Coleman Lantern" for my nightly excursions into the radio room. Last night I worked 5N7M in Nigeria. Being a musician myself; I love the rhythm and sounds of percussion instruments in Africa.


I've worked him (5N7M) on two different bands now. (17 and 30 meters)

I caught a QRP friend on the 20 meter band this afternoon who was eating his lunch at a picnic table in Panama City Florida. I've been keeping track of Greg (N4KGL) from a radio group on "Google Plus".

I also worked another QRP station in Brooklyn New York. (KC2ICA)



Later this afternoon I worked F5NBX in France. We've worked several times before.

6 comments:

Jim said...

I like the lantern, might steal that idea. Have one I use for camping.
Regards,
Jim

Jspiker said...

Hello Jim,

It works very well and puts out lots of light!

Bert, PA1B said...

Hello John, African rhythems are awsome. Many years ago I use to listen to short wave. Then I discovered a station from Africa with the typical African sound. FB. 73, Bert

Dick said...

Hello John. Any particular reason you use the lantern indoors instead of an electric lamp. Does look good and gives an outdoor ambiance no doubt.

Jspiker said...

Hello Bert,

I think the percussion sounds from African music have some of the most mesmerizing qualities in the world. They're brilliantly creative and imaginative. The rhythms can be mind boggling. I'm glad you like it too.

Jspiker said...

Hello Dick,

The lamp is strictly for ambiance. My best memories of camping and hiking surface whenever I look at it. I really miss the "outdoors".