My Most Recent QSO's

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Day 50


I completed my 50th daily DX contact this morning with a station in Great Sutton England. This station (M0BAU) and also a Scottish station  (MM0CIN) were in the same general area. The English station won out; although he was barely above the noise level. He was desperately trying to keep my attention and repeated his call sign at least a dozen times before I got it right.

Fortunately, he was an E-QSL member. On my return home this afternoon from a trip to my fathers, the card was in my mailbox and apparently, he was operating QRP. I sent an e-mail to him with the hopes he could clarify this for me. My guess is yes since he was calling near the 17 meter QRP calling frequency.


Geof wasn't the only station I worked today. I also worked a familiar Italian station. (IK2SND) We've worked several times before (3) and he was an easy catch. Despite all my efforts, I could not get YU150TC in Serbia to hear me.

I'm very happy with 50 days of daily DX now. My original goal was 30 consecutive days which I met with 34 contacts. I took a week off on a travel trip and have continued making a daily DX contact everyday afterwards. I have no idea how long this trend will continue but my radio habits revolve around 17 meters every morning with an additional time in the evening on 30 meters looking for stations in the Caribbean and South America.

To say chasing DX has become a minor trend is an understatement. I've learned chasing DX is highly addictive and I've grown to love it. I know working DX is a standard everyday event with larger stations using QRO power and enormous antenna farms but with 3 watts and a 50 piece of random wire for an antenna, I'm very content.

4 comments:

VE9KK said...

Well John congrats on the 50/50 that is great!!
Mike

Jspiker said...

Hello Mike,

It's been fun and I will continue onward towards that elusive total of 100. Hihi

All kidding aside tho...doubt I'll ever get those last 30 countries until I get a better antenna.

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hi John, you are a lucky guy. I watch the number growing. 73 Paul

Jspiker said...

Hello Paul,

17 meters has turned out to be a gold mine for me. I completed #51 this morning with SM7ALC in Sweden. 599 both ways.