My Most Recent QSO's

Saturday, October 8, 2011

The New River Gorge


Our Anniversary is this upcoming Oct 11th, the weather was beautiful today, so my wife and I decided to head into the mountains to enjoy a day in the New River Gorge. The New River (one of the oldest in the US) is below this canyon rim, and is about 700 feet below us. This place has special memories for us because we took our first hike here.

As you can see from the above picture, this is one of the most beautiful places in the world. It's a quite place although there are railroad tracks on both sides of the gorge. It actually adds to the nostalgia when they lumber along the river with hundreds of coal cars destined for the big cities.

There's always a cool breeze rising along the face of the rock cliffs and we gaze for hours at the hawks soaring along the edge of the massive rocks. We often take a spotting scope with us to watch the birds, watch the rafts and kayaks traverse the white water rapids, or observe the rock climbers in this area.


I don't take a radio with me when we hike in this part of the gorge. This is a place of peace and harmony, where, if you're silent and able to listen, you can hear all the important things in life speak to you.


Marilyn and I always enjoy our time here. With our anniversary rapidly approaching, we couldn't think of a better way to celebrate the day.



5 comments:

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hi John, a peaceful place to be. I can understand you don't take equipment to such a place. Just the quietness. 73 Paul

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hi John, beatiful pictures. It certainly is a peacefull site there. I try to imagine how it would be. But it's hard, nature here is so different and there is always manmade noise almost everywere. Wish I was there. How many years are you married? We got our 6th anniversary the 21st. 73, Bas

Jspiker said...

Marilyn and I have been married 4 years now.

Dick said...

Congrats to the young marrieds.

Bas made a point that I can't refute. There is much more man-made noise here, even in Bretagne. There are moments when I do miss being able to drive less than a half hour from my USA QTH and be in total wilderness.

I am constantly promoting the Northeast USA to French friends who only want to visit or have visited California (usually San Francisco).

73 Dick

Jspiker said...

Absolutely....I can still hear the wind whistling through the wings of soaring birds out here. But even here, civilization is intruding every day.

Mountaintop removal mining is destroying these treasures. It's getting difficult to avoid the sounds of "back up alarms",giant earth moving equipment, and blasting in these areas.

We may be the last generation to enjoy nature.