My Most Recent QSO's

Friday, November 26, 2010

The Best QSO's




I've worked several 2,000 mile stations (on 20 meters) in the state of Washington recently.

I worked KE7PZX (twice) in the last 10 days and also worked WC7C. (in Washington). Some of the other stations I've worked have been in Texas and Florida. (W5VYN--W5GXV & K3RLL). I also worked VE9CQ in New Brunswick and VE1BA in Nova Scotia. All of which are at the 1,000 mile range using my QRP rig and the indoor Isotron antenna.

But I don't spend a lot of time on 20 meters because I find most of these contacts are very weak, and only allow the basic exchange of signal strength, name, and location. The CW speed is also seldom less than 15 wpm. (Most are at 25+ wpm and a little too quick for me).

I've worked 34 DX stations now with my QRP rig and simple wire antennas. Several have been at 4,000 miles (or more) but I only remember one station (in Germany) that took a few minutes to actually 'chat' with me. It was a 10 minute QSO and an extremely rare instance. I find it amusing when I make long distance contacts, (yes I enjoy them from time to time) but they're not the very "best". I guess there's different things for different people, but still, my biggest joy is making a contact with another QRP operator.

When I worked K3RLL, (QRP) in Daytona Beach Florida, his batteries were about to go. But I still made the contact as he used a little QRP rig and a simple wire antenna while operating from a city park. My contact in Nova Scotia (VE1BA) was also QRP but using a small beam.

As I look over my log book now, I see a little over 800 contacts. Of those, 182 stations have been North American QRP CW Club (NAQCC) members.

Those QRP CW contacts are what I would call my "best QSO's".

3 comments:

Dick said...

Nice sentiment, John. I agree with you. I'm back on 20M, not today with the contest going. Don't give up on 20 meters. At home and abroad, I am very frequently on from 14.061 to 14.055 announcing myself as /QRP. We will still make it! 73 Dick

Jspiker said...

Hello Dick,

Fist thing I noticed this morning was all the contest activity on the bands. Probably won't spend much time on the air today since I don't have extra filters in the rig. Hihi

I'll continue to listen for you around 14.060 (plus or minus). I'll catch you sooner or later.

I continue to meander around the 40 meter frequencies since I find some VERY long QSO's there. A few days ago, I had an hour plus QSO with a fellow that owned another 703. He actually directed me into some of the "finer" menu options. All CW....very nice.

I guess I'm basically NOT a competitor. I like to make friendships. To learn and expand my horizons. etc....

Thanks for your comments. Hope things are going well in France.

John

recumbent conspiracy theorist said...

John,
Nice Post. The 703 is a great little rig. Worked a station yesterday in PA on 40 meters that was using the 703. His 10 watts showed 20 over at times. I'm with you -The DX is fun but I just like to hang around a bit and chat with the other guy. We've put all this effort and money into our stations and went to the trouble to learn the code it seems silly to just 599 TU and move on the next. especially when conditions are favorable.
73 Mike