My Most Recent QSO's

Sunday, September 13, 2009

New DX Country on 20 Meters

One of the things I love most about this hobby is not knowing where the next DX station is going to pop up on the bands. It's been so busy the last few weeks that I didn't have a clue there was a major contest happening in Europe this weekend. When I started hearing DX stations on 20 meters, I decided to give a few a try.

In the manner of about 30 minutes I was able to work two stations in Germany (DL0SN and DC4A) a Portuguese station (CT1ILT) and last but not least a station in Luxembourg. (LX7I)

Luxembourg (LX7I) is a new DX station for me.

Wow...that was fun! (and quick)

I also heard EA5DFV in Spain, S52ZW in Slovenia, 4o3A in Montenegro, and YU1JW in Serbia but couldn't work them.

I don't think any of these stations realized I was pushing a mighty 5 watts QRP with an indoor antenna. I'm really amazed these guys can hear me...

I realize they're running fantastic antenna's but to work me in West Virginia, at 600 ft elevation, between a couple of 1,000 ft hills, with an indoor 18" antenna bungee corded to the bedpost in a spare room, beside a tall apartment complex (actually 11 story's) is somewhat mind boggling to me.

I've heard it said that some major DX stations can hear a gnat sneeze in Morocco. I guess they really can....

I think 15 meters would be the 5,000 mile mark if the bands ever improve but I don't usually have an antenna to use on that band. All these stations were between 4,000 and 4,500 miles today.

4 comments:

Larry W2LJ said...

Way to go John! You're going to have QRP DXCC before you know it.

Larry W2LJ

QRP Station M6RDP said...

Fantastic to get across the Atlantic from a low-profile station. And great to get another DXCC. I bet there is a certain satisfaction in NOT telling the station 4,000 miles away whose pile-up you have busted that you are QRP from an indoor antenna. Now that I have read about your enjoyment of the DX contest that wanted outside EU only stations, I feel a little guilty for ranting about it on my blog. I need to realise that just because I can't enjoy it, doesn't mean others won't! In fact, I realise now it was a great opportunity for stations like yourself to log some great DX and really see how far their signal travels. Bye for now, Adam (M6RDP)

Jspiker said...

Hi Larry,

If I could only bust the 5,000 mile mark...Hihi

I'm firmly convinced that it will take an "outdoor" day with a little better antenna from the hills (instead of this valley).

Perhaps the NAQCC "Aniversary Week" in October will be the clincher?

I'll be operating as N8A and the only #8 in the US.

Keep your ears on 20 meters!

Jspiker said...

Hello Adam,

It's a mixed bag...Sure not much for QRP'ers trying to "reach out" with all these signals on the air.

But I'm fortunate to be "retired" and can make up for it during the week days. Actually, most of my "good" DX contacts are at these times.

I find the best contacts "off by themselves"...especially for that reason.

My Icom 703 doesn't have extra "filters"...

ps..."venting" is a good healthy thing. Keep up the good work on the blog. I really enjoy reading about your station and life in England.

72's